Skip to main content

Gab is under pressure after Pittsburgh shooting

Gab is a social media platform that allows all types of speech, including hate speech and has been under some heat recently. The Pittsburgh Synagogue shooter, Robert Bowers, posted numerous amounts of anti-semitic messages on the social media. He was allowed to do so as Gab prides itself for being a social media that allows all types of "free speech". Gab's free thinking intentions for the social media were not what they hoped for. It has been a digital gathering for anti-semites and white nationalists, where they can freely express their beliefs. Gab is not the only website that has "free speech" but seems to attract the most of these type of people.

Since then, Gab has been shut down by its web hosting provider, Joyent, but hopes to get online soon. Gab's president, Andrew Torba says, "We will exercise every possible avenue to keep Gab online and defend free speech and individual liberty for all people."(Click here to view the whole article) Gab has currently been working with the FBI in investigating Bowers account. This has made people wonder if there could have been something the social media company could have done before to prevent the recent incident.


Do you think there should be social media that allows "free speech"? Why or why not? Do you think it's fair that people's speech is restricted on social media? Why or why not? And finally, do you think that companies that claim to be "free speech" should be obligated to report people for their behavior online?

Image result for gab social media company

Comments

  1. Nice post, Colin. This is such an important issue to write and think about. I recently read an article suggesting that the government find ways to regulate social media. I'm not sure how that would happen or what that would look like, but don't be surprised if it's debated in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musk Smokes 20 Million Out of His Pocket

Elon Musk, CEO and former chairman of the billion-dollar company, Tesla, has been getting a lot of attention lately. Musk was forced to step-down from chairman after his tweet about taking Tesla private, which ended up costing him a $20 million dollar fine to the SEC (Security and Exchange Commission). Why did this tweet cost him $20 million? Well it was private information about Tesla that he released to the public which mislead investors causing the Tesla stock to skyrocket. Before he released the tweet on August 7th, Tesla was under intense finical trouble after their stocks were down 25 percent. Releasing the company information was illegal even though his intentions were good. ( Click here  to view the whole article) Just one month later, Musk was seen smoking marijuana while with host Joe Rogan, on his podcast. The podcast was filmed in California, where smoking marijuana for recreational purposes is legal. Rogan jokingly asked Musk if he couldn't smoke, "because

My Family History

When I was born, I was given the name Colin Brice Heath. My first name has no family significance as it was chosen by parents from a baby name book. For my first name, my parents wanted a name that was two syllables because my last name is only one syllable, and two one-syllable names would sound odd together. My mother wanted to make sure my name would be the name I was called; she didn't want any nicknames for me. My middle name does have a family connection: it is my dad's first name and is a tradition in my family to have the eldest son's middle name be the same as the father's. My last name is said to have come from England where it means meadow or open field. My father's side of the family originally came from England and Scotland. Unfortunately, my father's side has a complicated background, so much of the Heath family history has been lost. My family ended up in Chicago because my mother grew up in this area and went to New Trier. Her parents stayed in