Skip to main content

My Family History

When I was born, I was given the name Colin Brice Heath. My first name has no family significance as it was chosen by parents from a baby name book. For my first name, my parents wanted a name that was two syllables because my last name is only one syllable, and two one-syllable names would sound odd together. My mother wanted to make sure my name would be the name I was called; she didn't want any nicknames for me. My middle name does have a family connection: it is my dad's first name and is a tradition in my family to have the eldest son's middle name be the same as the father's. My last name is said to have come from England where it means meadow or open field.

My father's side of the family originally came from England and Scotland. Unfortunately, my father's side has a complicated background, so much of the Heath family history has been lost. My family ended up in Chicago because my mother grew up in this area and went to New Trier. Her parents stayed in Winnetka, and when my parents were deciding where to live, they wanted to live close to my mother's parents.

Comments

  1. Interesting how sometimes a school (like NT) can keep families in an area. Great post, Colin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musk Smokes 20 Million Out of His Pocket

Elon Musk, CEO and former chairman of the billion-dollar company, Tesla, has been getting a lot of attention lately. Musk was forced to step-down from chairman after his tweet about taking Tesla private, which ended up costing him a $20 million dollar fine to the SEC (Security and Exchange Commission). Why did this tweet cost him $20 million? Well it was private information about Tesla that he released to the public which mislead investors causing the Tesla stock to skyrocket. Before he released the tweet on August 7th, Tesla was under intense finical trouble after their stocks were down 25 percent. Releasing the company information was illegal even though his intentions were good. ( Click here  to view the whole article) Just one month later, Musk was seen smoking marijuana while with host Joe Rogan, on his podcast. The podcast was filmed in California, where smoking marijuana for recreational purposes is legal. Rogan jokingly asked Musk if he couldn't smoke, "because